The Rhythm and Soul is Greg Best’s composite sketch of a Manhattan and Sazerac. “I imagine the two cocktails getting into a tussle on the high street of a small frontier town,” says Best, “and then making up and having a love child.” With a base of bourbon and sweet vermouth, accented with the licorice fragrance of the absinthe-like Herbsaint, and balanced out with Averna and Angostura bitters, this drink has, as Best says it, “the rhythm of a Manhattan and the soul of a Sazerac.” – From Punchdrink.com
- 1 barspoon Herbsaint
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon (preferably Wathen’s)
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth (preferably Carpano Antica)
- 1/2 ounce Averna
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon peel
- Fill a rocks glass with cracked ice and add a bar spoon of Herbsaint. Set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Roll the Herbsaint and ice mixture around the inside of the rocks glass to coat. Discard.
- Strain the contents of the mixing glass into the seasoned glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.
photo credit: Ilana Freddye